253 detained across 14 states as security agencies bust Shahzad Bhatti network ahead of Independence Day

PrashantNews

Indian security agencies have carried out a major multi-state crackdown against the Pakistan-based, ISI-backed Shahzad Bhatti Network (SBN) ahead of Independence Day, detaining 253 people across 14 states and disrupting what the government said were plans for subversive attacks, Union Home Minister Amit Shah said on Monday.

In a post on social media, Shah said more than 200 operatives linked to the network had been arrested and described the action as an example of the Centre’s “zero-tolerance” policy towards terrorism.

According to the Ministry of Home Affairs, the coordinated operation was conducted on August 12 in cooperation with state police forces and used a real-time intelligence-sharing mechanism. The largest number of detentions were reported from Uttar Pradesh (62), followed by Haryana (52), Delhi (51) and Punjab (44). Rajasthan accounted for 15 detentions, Maharashtra eight and Uttarakhand five. Karnataka, Gujarat and Bihar recorded three each, while Telangana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Kerala recorded two each.

The operation also led to the recovery of a substantial quantity of arms and suspected terror-related material, including improvised explosive devices, grenades bearing Pakistan Ordnance Factory markings, pistols and live cartridges. CCTV cameras allegedly intended for surveillance and espionage were also recovered, the government said.

The Home Ministry described the Shahzad Bhatti Network as a Pakistan-based terror syndicate allegedly linked to grenade, IED and petrol-bomb attacks as well as targeted killings in different parts of India. Investigators also allege that the network used local conduits to conduct reconnaissance of police, defence and religious sites and install surveillance cameras.

The government said the crackdown was specifically aimed at preventing disruptions planned around the August 15 Independence Day celebrations. More than 80 FIRs have been registered and over 200 arrests recorded against the network under provisions including the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, Arms Act, NDPS Act and Explosive Substances Act.

Shah said the coordinated action had “ripped apart” the network and thwarted its plans, while security agencies maintained that the recoveries demonstrated the seriousness of the alleged cross-border links.

The operation represents one of the wider recent multi-state counter-terrorism crackdowns, with agencies focusing not only on armed operatives but also on alleged local networks involved in recruitment, reconnaissance, logistics and surveillance.

By Shishir Prashant

Shishir Prashant is a senior journalist having vast experience working in prestigious media organizations like PTI, Business Standard, Deccan Herald and Kashmir Times

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *